Tuesday, May 01, 2007

I spent the majority of today moving my old friend, and new roommate, Matt, into the apartment that we are going to be sharing for the next year. Today was the first time I saw the place, and it is good to know that I am actually going to have some tangible place to work and live in. Up till this point it has been somewhat of an enigmatic idea. Tomorrow, or today actually, we wake up early load my stuff, and move basically everything I own in Chicago into the apartment, go home for the weekend and do the same to my stuff that's at home that I'm going to need. Should be fun, or at least exhausting and fulfilling.

I talked to Mike a little further about the idea for "Interlude." We discussed character descriptions, should it be a waiter or a waitress, lighting and color schemes. Ultimately we decided that the techniques used in "One Hour Photo" is something that we should try and emulate and that it should be a waiter, seeing as the devil would reserve the feminine form for customers because the character appears to be more passive and lovable as a woman.

One of my teachers gave me this technique that I want to experiment with over the summer. I'm going to get my hands on a roll of paper, maybe from the health department where my dad works, and tack it to the wall. Then I'll get some big markers and just scrawl all over it with ideas, plot outlines, scenes, dialog, everything; creating a map of my novel for me to then piece together and create into something that is (hopefully) publishable and tangible.

I'm going home this weekend. I'm really looking forward to seeing my pets, and I'm hoping that when the time comes for me to move into this apartment that I'll be able to get a kitten. Just the thought of having my own pet is really exciting. I want to give it a cool name. Something like Caius, or Lopt, or something mythological or philosophical... I don't know. Cats are really bizzare and interesting characters.

I started having some interesting ideas for The Center, today while listening to the song "The New Year" by Death Cab For Cutie. Something called the Infinitum kept popping up, and there was also this really vivid image of Edmund (my protagonist or antagonist, depending on how you look at things) standing in the back of the cockpit of a B12 Bomber as it comes through the clouds soaring over one of the 9 cities of the East. He then says quickly to "drop it." The plane releases two bombs that plummet into the city (MASSIVE CITY) and explode in twin mushroom clouds of a nuclear blast. He is also referred to as the Red Horse (which is an obvious tie in to the horsemen of the apocalypse).

Another idea that has been interesting me has been a line from Neil Gaiman's American Gods, where Shadow and Wednesday are discussing who is a "Black Hat" vs. a "White Hat." This is in reference to who is good who is evil. Then a title occured to me. "The Grey Hats." I don't know what I'm going to do with it, but I'll keep you posted.

Anywhoo I'm off to bed for the evening, to pack and move tomorrow, and then to possibly talk comics with my artist (hopefully) so that I don't get a failing grade come next monday.

0 comments: